Thursday, March 4, 2010

Back from Vacation!



I had a wonderful time in Las Vegas, vacationing there with my mom. While I was there, I had planned to meet up with two of my embossing friends from the Yahoo group I belong to. We've all been exchanging/swapping cards for several years but had never met in person. We planned to have a crafting day and it turned out to be so much fun! Donna (Furthest left in the picture) drove with her husband from CA to spend a few days in Vegas. She put together a class for us and we made 4 embossed cards and a tag. I loved being able to get my crafting fix on vacation!! Donna put together some really cute cards and I posted one that we made above. The little bee is a shrinky dink! She printed the bee from the Lasting Impressions Colored Impressions software, (the image is from a Lasting Impressions template), cut him out, and baked it to shrink it. Super cute, and fun springy colors. Barbara is in the middle in the picture, and she is from Las Vegas. At one point we took a break and walked down the strip to get lunch and Barbara mentioned that she thought it was the first time in 30 years that she had walked down the strip! I had to laugh, it's sort of like people who live near DC but never go to museums or monuments (me). I had so much fun crafting with them, they were both very sweet and I enjoyed getting to know them!

I must admit, 8 days on the strip is a long time for someone who doesn't enjoy gambling much. By the last day, I was itching to get away from the strip and see or do something new. I saw an ad for a gun store where you could come and try to shoot guns. I've never done it before and thought why not? We had a rental car and we drove to the shooting range. It was an experience. I shot a handgun and a rifle. Just as I was getting ready to shoot the gun for the first time, the person next to me shot a fully automatic machine gun which put me on edge! I jumped and yelled, not expecting that. I learned that Nevada is one of the few states that allows you to shoot fully automatic weapons, which made this a popular shooting range for tourists. So I shot the guns.... They gave me my target papers to take home as a souvenir. I didn't love shooting but I didn't hate it either. But I am glad I tried something new. And I'd be willing to try it again.



8 comments:

mspiggy7 said...

Great Vacation, Heidi! So glad to see pictures of Donna & Barbara. You gals must have had a ball. I miss making cards with you gals on Embossing Exc. sites but hope to join you again soon.

GeminiJen said...

Well good golly, you shot guns!! A new side of you Heidi. :)
Oh, the Bee card is adorable.

Janice W. said...

Hi Heidi!
Welcome back!! I am glad you had a nice vacation and that you got to meet some of your friends in person.
:) Janice

Susan said...

Welcome back Heidi! Glad you had a nice vacation and how awesome is that to meet some of your online crafting buddies! Cute bee card by the way.

Suzanne :O ) said...

that card is adorable- love the sentiment! looks like you had a great time in vegas! :D

Annette said...

Wow, sounds like you had a wonderful vacation! That is so great that you learned how to shoot and you did pretty good with your aim! I went to Vegas when I was 14, many years ago, I can only imagine how much it has changed. Glad you had a great time!

Anne said...

I'm glad you had a nice vacation- sounds like it was fun to meet up with your embossing friends! I love the story and pic of the the gun store- I'm laughing right now- hope you had fun!!

Anonymous said...

Your how you bee? card is so darling. Love the bee and the embossed flowers.
Glad you had a nice trip and you were able to meet up with some on line crafting friends. And you're brave... shooting guns... wow. I liked seeing your target paper. looks like you aren't too bad of a shot they are all in the K zone. Thanks for sharing such a fun post...